December 16, 2007

A weekend of visitors

It's been a busy weekend! Luke went on Friday to stay the weekend next-door at the Lemanskis' house, so David and I were left alone with Timothy for two nights. It was a nice relief, but somehow we feel more exhausted than ever!

Saturday late afternoon, one of David's best friends came to visit with his new wife. (We attended their wedding in Kaduna in May. I was miserable and made David miserable, so I didn't blog about it.) We hadn't seen them since the wedding, and I'd only met her once before that, so I had no expectations for what the evening would be like! It ended up being comfortable and nice. We went out to dinner at The Net Cafe in town and had some nice discussions. (And I got berated for 1. not dressing the baby warmly enough, 2. not drinking something hot, and 3. not bathing the baby every day.)

Then today, David's family came--all three of his brothers, plus his sister-in-law's elder brother, who was the co-photographer at our wedding. It was quite a crowd! We didn't have enough living room chairs for everyone! After some chitchat, including discussion on Timothy and on delivery in general (David's sister-in-law is just about term with her pregnancy), we went out to lunch. The restaurant we went to, Bevelyn's, used to have a mural on one wall that was a blown-up photo of the Golden Gate Bridge. The only trouble was that they had gotten the panels of the photo wrong, and the bridge was floating off into space at one end, continued (in the next panel) at least 20" lower on the wall! I guess they figured with earthquakes and everything, that's how the bridge actually looks! My family always called it the "Broken Bridge Restaurant." Now the walls are covered in mirrors. Not very flattering, if you ask me!

We had great Nigerian food ("I'd like gari and vegetable soup." "I'm sorry, sir, the vegetable soup has finished." "Okay, give me gari and egusi." "I'm sorry, sir, the gari has finished..."), and then everyone came back to our house (well, my parents' house, seeing as we're house-sitting) for a little while before they headed off again. It was quite a day, quite a weekend! When David's family left, we just sat on the couch in silence, too tired to even go to our bed and lie down!! I know it's an introvert thing, but boy, can hosting be tiring!

But it was fun to see our guests and to find out that our sister-in-law is expecting. (People don't announce their pregnancies here like they do in the States, so often people don't find out until you deliver, at least if you don't live in the same town.) At the same time, we feel like our weekend disappeared, and our "rest" without Luke was virtually nonexistent. Ah well! C'est la vie!

1 comment:

  1. (And I got berated for 1. not dressing the baby warmly enough, 2. not drinking something hot, and 3. not bathing the baby every day.) lol!

    I just had a baby and I get berated for no dressing my baby well by complete strangers! "abeg madam help me cover you child well" . I guess its because I had my first two kids in houston and no one covers kids that much over there.

    I also get berated by everyone from my mum to my househelp for not giving my baby a bath 2ce a day.I just laugh!

    I love your blog ..you have a lovely family.visit my blog when u can. God bless

    ReplyDelete