December 17, 2007

Two things

One is that my computer crashed...Again.

I'd been using David's for the past oh six months, I guess. But his power supply died, and Dad had miraculously resurrected my own computer, so I'd switched back over. And now it's died again. If you've ever seen the movie Awakenings starring Robin Williams, it's like that. We truly thought it was cured, but actually... Well anyway, here I am using my dad's computer. If this crashes or somehow becomes incapacitated, I'm down to Luke's computer!! Ironic that my dad, the computer guru, isn't here until February, either! This means I have to start from scratch with my Christmas recipes and music lists, too. Aargh.

The second thing is my complaint about something I heard in church yesterday. Let me preface it by saying that I think the chaplain is wonderful, and he really seems to be a godly man. I have nothing against him at all. No, my complaint is against Western Christianity, or at least American Christianity. You know what? I don't think even that is accurate. I'll tell you my complaint, and then you can analyse and tell me who it is propagating the idea, okay?

Why is leadership such a big deal? Why does everyone seem to think that if you're not a leader, you're a nobody? If there weren't followers, there would be no leaders! It's just as important to be an obedient (in the Christian context) follower as it is to be a leader! Why is such emphasis put on leadership skills? Isn't it as crucial to be able to follow directions and directives? If we were all leaders, where would we be? Shouldn't we be humble servants? Where in the Bible does Jesus say we need to be leaders? I just don't get it. Granted, that's probably because I've never had any desire to be a leader. I may have a few leadership qualities, but if I do, they're hidden from me. And I've never in my life wanted to be in leadership. Sometimes I found myself there anyway, but I'd much rather be in the background, doing support, than in the forefront. And people think my position is pathetic, sad. Well, hello! I'm proud of being a good follower! So all you people obsessed with leadership can just get off your high horses and acknowledge that you'd be nowhere without people like me!!

Phew. Okay. I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment