December 29, 2007

Gardening I - Seeds

I'm not a gardener. I grew up in apartments in Los Angeles, so you can imagine how much land we had in which to grow green things (i.e., none at all). Our yard was concrete at most of our apartments. Yeah, not great for gardening.

When I was in seventh grade at Hillcrest, we returned from the States in January, and my classmates were growing gardens for science class. Well, January is the middle of the dry season, and I hadn't been around in the fall to plant anything, so I had to start from scratch. Needless to say, I didn't get an A on my garden.

But I'm an adult now, so I thought I'd give it a go. My sister was successful in growing basil in her condo in Illinois, and it's so yummy to eat. We can't always get it in the market here, so when I noticed that our fruit-seller had a bunch of seed packets hanging from a clothesline in his fruit stall, I asked him if he had seeds for dill or basil. He said he didn't, but that he'd get some for me. I didn't really believe him, but two weeks later, he handed me two little sachets of seeds--dill and basil. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment