January 26, 2007

Seeing Samuel again


I saw Samuel again yesterday! I hadn't seen him since July and wondered how he was doing. So I asked Dad to notify me when Samuel came in for his next check-up, which was scheduled for February 12. I was surprised when Dad called yesterday morning to tell me Samuel was in the clinic! I rushed down to the hospital with my camera, and as soon as Samuel saw me, he greeted me with a big hug!

For those of you who don't remember or weren't reading in July (May I have this dance?), Samuel (not his real name) is one of Dad's HIV+ children in the PEPFAR program. He's now 3-1/2 and doing well. He's started to say a few words (in contrast to his not talking at all last summer) and is good at repeating sounds (frog, elephant, giraffe, snake). He's as cute as ever and loves to smile. He still loves playing with my beeping digital watch, and he also loves the buttons on my camera. (So much so that when I took the camera away to take a photo, he cried. So Dad had to take the photos!) Speaking of buttons, the little tyke tried to unbutton my skirt! How rude! :)

I thank God that Samuel is healthy and thriving despite his HIV status. He's a reminder to me of my reason for being here - the reason for PEPFAR's existence and even for the existence of the medical ministry at this hospital. And he gives me hope that even though HIV cannot be defeated, it can be waylaid, that God loves even the smallest child.

2 comments:

  1. He is a cutie :) Are you enjoying your chill day today? I sure hope so. Fridays are my cleaning days because I hate to do it on Saturdays, but Mondays are also my cleaning days because after the weekend and Eric being home, I usually need to clean on Monday :) But I like relaxing on the weekends instead of doing laundry and cleaning all day saturday :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on your previous post and asked you to post pictures as it would be so interesting. I realized on my homeschool blog that I could not easily post photos so, I did what I asked you to do, I changed my homeschool web host and now you can see our homeschool in action. I really can't express to you enough how much I enjoy your blog. I feel deep sadness for the grief you have to deal with on a seemingly daily basis. I wish you and your husband much happiness and I pray that you will continue to keep Jesus in your focus. My new homeschool web address mcbenningschool.blogspot.com
    A friend in New Mexico

    ReplyDelete