January 22, 2007

Between jobs

Well, this will likely be one of my final weeks as a 100% housewife. In February, David and I will go to Immigration and get my status sorted out so that I can finally work. Yay!

The trouble is...

I've been invited to work at four different jobs, and I have no idea what to do!! Help! The problem is that all four jobs are amazing opportunities. Two are editing-based, which is really my specialty. I've had experience in that field, and I feel pretty solid in my abilities. The other jobs would definitely be more challenging, and more people-oriented. I'm an introvert, no mistake, and these jobs would stretch me to the max. But don't I need to be stretched?

Plus there's the question of whether to work part-time or full-time. If I work full-time, we'll have to hire someone to help us around the house with the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. Not a big deal. It's easy to do here, and most missionaries see it as a ministry in itself: providing work for someone unemployed. But... I don't know. I feel weird about the whole thing.

So bear with me as I choose a job (or two part-time jobs) this week. Any advice?

3 comments:

  1. Go with the editting job. You have enough stretching, and learning to do with your marriage. The first year of marriage is about the most stressful time in your life. You want to be able to give your best to David, not to the job. And your marriage is a cross cultural affair. Go with what you know. Go with the comfortable, and easy. Learning to cook, and wash clothes is going to take alot of out of you. And your work at home deserves your emotional energy, and learning time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say work full-time. Get some help. You need it. There is too much to do on your own there. Plus, you can't work-full time after you have kids someday, this is the only time you can. ANd, its Nigeria, the pace of life is different, you will have time with your husband and at home. So, I say work full-time, get some help at home, to relieve that stress, tha way when you are home you can relax a little and spend time with your husband. Trying to be a 1oo percent homemaker in a new country will kill you......trust me. I did not have a husband, but I have a mom and dad and family who pressured me to learn the ways and it was hard. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both Charity and Linda... you don't need to be worrying about work plus while you still can, work full time.

    ReplyDelete