January 12, 2007

Back in the saddle

(Internet has been down for a week, so this is what I wrote on 4 January 2007.)

I'm home!


Wow, it feels great to be able to say that! I brought in the new year here in Jos, with my husband and family, and now my “normal” life can begin.

I have my work cut out for me in setting up house. This is the dry season in northern Nigeria, which means harmattan – dust. The Sahara is encroaching on my country and spreads a bit further south every year. One of the evidences is the dust that blows in late in the fall and remains thick and heavy in the air until about March. Sometimes it's thick as fog, other times just a haze around the rocky hills. But always it's thick on the windowpanes, furniture, and every flat surface. Yuck! Oh, the joys of keeping the house clean during harmattan! As I said, I have my work cut out for me.

And next week, my mom's going to take me grocery shopping! (Oh joy.) I'm eager to learn the ropes, even though I've never liked shopping. I'm hoping she'll let me just tag along on her weekly shopping trips for the first month or two, until I get the hang of it.

I've got a lot on my plate, but ultimately, I'm home, and that's what matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment