July 20, 2006

May I have this dance?

Why do I love spending time in the paediatric ward? Because of...

Samuel!

Samuel is three years old and one of our HIV+ babies receiving anti-retroviral drugs. I met him five weeks ago when he climbed onto my lap during PEPFAR clinic. He smiled and sat happily on my lap, playing with my beeping watch, for at least twenty minutes. I wished I'd had my camera.

So the next time he popped into the paediatric clinic carrying a drum, I immediately got out my camera. After I took this snap, he sat on my lap, and we played the drum together. Whenever I stopped hitting the drum, he grabbed my hand and forced me to drum again! The child is stubborn and knows how to get what he wants with his winning smile!

I saw Samuel again on Monday. This time I scooped him up into my arms and took him around the ward, showing him the animals my aunt has been painting on the doors and walls. His favourite was the monkey, and we kept returning to the door so he could touch the monkey's mouth. There was music on TV, so I danced around the ward, a handsome boy in my arms. The visit was short (because he was well), and his caregiver came to get him before I was ready to let go.

But I'll never forget the day I danced with Samuel.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    I love your blog, you are so witty and such a good writer. I hope all is well and I am thinking about you as you prepare to come back and get married to Dr. Dennis, wow!!!! I can't believe you didn't say anything in the car on the way to the airport the day you left. Anyway james is a cutie, he is still one of my favorites, I need to send you the pic I took of you and him in the ped ward weeks back...To, sai ki zo, so happy for you!!!!

    Love Susan :) (from spring of life)

    ReplyDelete