July 23, 2006

Saying goodbye with hope


Baby Peter died today.

I don't even know the details. I know that he was "gasping" yesterday when the electricity went off for a half hour, and no one thought to connect his oxygen mask to the oxygen tank... And I guess he just didn't really recover. He had three or four more apnoea attacks and finally "packed" at 16:15 today. I was at the paediatric ward but not present when Peter died. And now he's gone.

And I remember the songs I've heard about babies' deaths, including "With Hope" by Steven Curtis Chapman.

But still somehow, after having seen Baby Peter every day for the past month, a little bit of me has died with him. Still, I believe babies go to heaven, so I will say goodbye with hope.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:07

    Dear Saralynn, 25 July '06
    I've just read your blog pgs. again, but never commented before.
    What you have written is very enlightening, & tells a great deal about your sensitivity to others. Thank you for shareing your thoughts. It helps others to experience vicariously what you experience in 'real time'. God Bless you. me

    ReplyDelete