August 05, 2006

Returning

There are reasons I haven't written... not good ones, perhaps, but they are reasons. I was sick for several days – not malaria, thank God! - and have been away from the hospital since then. Why? Good question!


This week I became a substitute Middle School English teacher! Our full-time teacher hasn't arrived in the country yet, so I'm teaching her classes for two weeks.


I have to admit I never saw myself as a middle school teacher. I finished middle school only ten years ago myself, and I still remember it vividly. My days were full of cat fights and bitter backstabbing. (Maybe that's why I became friends with the guys instead.) It's different as a teacher, I expect, and my first three days have been super!


I'm cheating, though. Because I'm only here for two weeks, I'm not following the curriculum but trying to get the kids interested in learning first. We're doing a lot of creative writing (my specialty and passion) and reading aloud. Yeah! I have just about 85 kids total, in grades 6 to 8, and they've been good to me so far. We'll see how the next five days turn out.


The cool thing about my school is that I've got kids from all over: U.S., Canada, Nigeria, Korea, Syria, Lebanon, India, New Zealand, Australia, to name a few. And the funniest part is they almost all sound American!


Find out more about the school at www.hillcrestschool.net.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous20:26

    Hi Saralynn, Middle School is wonderful. You might learn to love it. The kids will try so many different things, eagerly & with entheusiasm. They're just great to work with. I think you'll be an encourager to many of them. Have fun & be yourself. (if you're having fun, the kids will too + they'll learn more too.)

    ReplyDelete