August 05, 2006

The Road Not Taken

I could give you a whole literary analysis of Robert Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken." Even the title itself is a statement. But if you know the poem you'll understand why I really like it just now.

My life came to a crossroads this summer, and I shocked myself and everyone I know by the road I chose. I had planned to go to medical school, to become a missionary doctor and return to Nigeria. Everyone was excited for me. But the road was long: going to medical school would mean not returning to Nigeria full-time for at least another ten years.

I fought the battle of indecision that I so often face (as an extremely indecisive person) and finally came out on top. I decided not to go to medical school. Instead, I decided to return to Nigeria as soon as possible and make a life here.

Within days of making this decision, it was confirmed by certain relationship developments regarding a young Nigerian doctor. I'm reluctant to jump the gun, but my hopes for our future are extremely high, and I believe we can face and overcome many challenges together. Nigeria is my home, and I rejoice that God has led me to be here permanently.

My current plans? I leave Nigeria on August 13, spend several days with my sister and her family in Scotland, and then return to the U.S. to find closure. I'll be packing up, selling my belongings, and saying my goodbyes to familiar people and places (and food!). I hope to return here by mid- to late-October. I have no income and no prospective job yet, but I'm trusting that God will make a way for us.

It's scary! And I'm sure that some days I'll regret it. But I am convinced this is my future, and I accept it with joy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Can't wait to have you back in October. I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous20:35

    CONGRATULATIONS...Exciting News!
    Will he peel onions?

    Seriously...We are happy for you! It is rather a suprise, not anything we would have thought would happen. You are & have been in our prayers.

    8:34 PDT

    ReplyDelete