August 23, 2006

Changing gears

I never learned to drive a manual transmission car, but it looks like I need to start learning.

I'm back in the U.S. of A., and that in itself is changing gears for this blog. Obviously, for the next few weeks I won't have any touching stories from the hospital in Nigeria.

But the reason I need to learn to drive a stick shift is in preparation for returning to Nigeria permanently - and soon. (Automatics are hard to find in Nigeria.) God has placed in me a passion for Nigeria and its people, and I'm overwhelmed with gratitude that He's called me to live there full-time. I always expected this would come in the form of some sort of work opportunity, but God works in mysterious - and surprising! - ways. God brought into my life a wonderful young doctor who's asked me to be his wife, and I've agreed.

Dr. David Dennis Nege is a first-year resident in family practice (yes, he is a full-fledged doctor!) at our hospital and is from Taraba State in east-central Nigeria. He's been a family friend for two years, and I've known him since last summer, when he was finishing as an intern. We plan to marry in November in Nigeria. Only three months away!

So for now I'm here in California, packing and sorting. There are so many uncertainties and questions. But I'm trying to let God work out the things I can't solve myself. I'm terrified and excited about all that's in store for me, for us. And I really miss Nigeria. But there it is. Anyone have wedding ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous03:28

    Hey Sara, Debbie here. I just got forwarded the news about your wedding!! Congratulations. I really pray God would bless you both abundantly. I know He is doing exciting things in you life. I admire your faith. I am hoping to be in Jos at the end of January. Bringing my boyfriend, Padraic, to show him my home :). So i hope we can catch up then. Love and prayers, Debbie

    ReplyDelete