July 03, 2006

Light in the Paediatric Ward


Why do I love spending time in the paediatric ward? Because of...

Nehemiah!

"Your shoes are wet," I told the little tyke who wandered into the paediatric clinic after hours today as the rain came pounding down outside. He looked at his shoes and looked at the floor behind him. "My shoes are dry," I said. "See?" He looked at my shoes and nodded. I held out my hand, and he grabbed it; it was cold. While his mother tried to talk the doctor into examining Nehemiah, I sat, warming Nehemiah's cold hand. He didn't talk, and I didn't talk, but we were friends. He nodded when I asked if I could "snap" him (take his photo). He was just so darn cute.

The doctor refused to see him today, since it was after clinic hours, so we had a short visit. As Nehemiah walked out, I said goodbye, and he finally spoke.

"Bye!" he called behind him as he hurried after his mom.

I look forward to seeing him again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment