March 14, 2008

Melancholy

It's been one of those days. I had a hard time getting any work done. My "editing" of these Sunday school lessons is actually mainly rewriting, and I have next to zero gifts with writing Sunday school lessons, especially for teens. And I have to work on one lesson that I remember being extremely irked about when we discussed it at our writer's workshop back in September. Oy. And I was expecting someone to come by today, but that person never showed up. And I'd hoped to get a nap, but when Timothy was sleeping, I just couldn't fall asleep. And I found out there's a céilidh (Scottish dance) at Miango on Sunday night, but of course I can't go (between having no transportation and no money to spend the night there--you can't travel at night here). And I didn't get to go to the last one because no one thought to invite me.

...which makes me realise just how alone I am here. Who are my friends? David - who's gone much of the time these days, between work and studying for his huge exam coming up next month. My parents - who will be out of town all next week. Sara - who moved to Abuja in February. Marc - who teaches at Hillcrest, so I never see him. Besides, he's a social butterfly and is impossible to keep track of. And that's about it. Everyone else is at least a mouse-click away.

Yes, I know, I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I know that life isn't really as bad as all that. I have so much to be thankful for. But I'm extremely lonely. I long for real friends who understand me and will love me even when I wear jeans out of the house and don't put socks on my baby, even when I admit I don't cook pounded yam for my husband every day.

I just want a friend. Is that too much to ask for?

2 comments:

  1. Get on the plane and come to London. I hope you are close to North London but transport is great

    A full party of friends waiting for you. Promise to host a welcome to London party for you and I am not joking. I have been blessed with the greatest friends and it is definitely quality and not quantity. Have been meaning to drop you a line ever since I got the card. Lovely.

    You are allowed to wear jeans as long as you do not laugh that I go round the house in a wrapper sometimes and socks are definitely optional. As for the pounded yam. pah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous21:47

    Oh, Saralynn. I'm so sorry you've got the blues. It can be difficult when you feel like the walls of your house are closing in on you and there's no other adult around to talk to. I don't have much advice to offer. Is there another mother with small children that you could get to know?

    ReplyDelete