March 29, 2008

Left behind

David's gone again, this time for two weeks. I've been dreading this time for a year now. I knew even before I married him that about this time, he'd have to travel down south to take his Part I fellowship exam. But actually, he would have left this coming Tuesday if not for a workshop he was told a week ago that he should attend. Since it was a holiday, however, he couldn't put in his letter for permission to miss work until Tuesday (Nigeria observes Easter Monday), and he didn't find out until Thursday morning at 6:30 that we would be allowed to attend the workshop that started Friday morning, 13 hours away. He packed Wednesday night just in case, and when I saw him Thursday morning about 7:15, he came in, said, "Okay, we're going, and we're leaving now," grabbed his luggage, kissed me goodbye, and left for two weeks. *sigh* The joys of living in Nigeria. As my family says, OINK!!

The fact that eases this parting is that the ladies' retreat is this weekend. Maybe I'll blog more about it tomorrow, but it's been good and exhausting. I'm glad I could go (thanks to generous donors, whoever they are, who paid my way!), but I would sure have felt guilty going if it had been right before David traveled. It's easier to be gone myself when he, too, is gone.

But I hate his being away, just hate it. I don't know how I'll make it through the next 11 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment