September 11, 2007

One day to go

Tomorrow's my last day as a substitute. I've learned a lot and had a good time for the most part. But dude, I am so exhausted. I don't know how full-time teachers do it. (I guess it helps to not be almost 7 months pregnant.) Today the guys who usually drive me crazy just cracked me up. They spent a good five minutes testing my knowledge of modern musicians, mostly R&B, I suspect. (We had free time after the lesson today, so it's not like they were interrupting anything important.) They finally said, "Auntie, what music do you listen to?" I said, "Musicians you've never heard of, like Beethoven and Bach." They just laughed. Actually, I hardly listen to any classical music (in the generic sense of the term), but I'm sure they've never heard of most of my favourite singers, seeing as they're primarily Christian. They were very glad to know that I listen to Bob Marley and that I've at least heard of Elvis and Michael Jackson. Ha. Poor deprived souls. They don't know what they're missing.

David started work at the teaching hospital this week. He's enjoying it so far, as the workload is quite a bit less than that of Evangel. But he's on call tonight, and he barely made it home for a quick supper (20 minutes) before returning. I'd gotten so spoiled with him working here, since he could sleep at home until he was called and return after he finished seeing the patient. Now he'll be gone all night when he's on call, and I'll only see him after work the next day. *sigh* I have to remind myself that this is normal for a doctor's family.

We moved our furniture this past Saturday--at least, most of it. We were a bit surprised to discover that the house had been flooded when a maintenance man accidentally left the taps on. Oops! It can happen easily, considering the water goes on and off a lot. Most of the house had about a half-inch of water, but the master bedroom was under a good 2 inches. Somehow, though, the guard David paid to clean it up managed to get almost all the water out in just a few short hours. Amazing! So on Sunday we were able to move all our furniture from the pile in the living room into the various rooms. The place actually looks like a home now instead of just a shell. We're hoping to move in this Saturday. (Lord, help us!) In other words, I'll spend all day Friday packing. Phew.

This is life!

No comments:

Post a Comment