September 22, 2007

Grasping at straws

This week, one of my best friends came out of the closet.

This has never happened to me before, and I'm perplexed. I've already written a response--one that I hope was full of encouragement but clearly stated my views--but am left feeling bewildered, frustrated, and more than a little heavy-hearted.

I know some people believe they are born with an attraction to the same sex. And I can't deny it is probably true that some people are born that way. It's "natural"... in the same way that it's natural for teenage boys to want to "conquer" pretty girls. Sexuality is a natural instinct. I know that. I'm not saying it isn't. But just like a boy's lust must be controlled--and a man's lust for women apart from his wife--I believe homosexual feelings must be controlled, too. I don't pretend to think it's easy. But it's one of those things that must be done if you love Christ--the same way I have to give up being selfish and complaining. (Still working on that!)

I know that what I'm saying goes against all American teaching about tolerance and relativity. Maybe it will make me a few enemies. But I hope my friend is not among them. I'm a sinner, just like the rest of the world. I can't condemn anyone. It's not my place or my right, and I don't want to have that role. But I can't just pretend I accept homosexuality, either. I believe the Bible is pretty clear on the subject.

So please pray for me, and especially for my friend.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I'm sorry. I... well, not exactly know how you feel, I guess, because it's a good friend. But I know how awful the whole thing can make you feel, when you really care about somebody (and about their feelings) but can't change your position for that. (At the CW the year before I came to Nigeria, I lived with two girls who were in a relationship... I probably told you that, I forget... and I never told them what I thought. I kind of thought there was no call b/c they didn't ask, plus it wouldn't help b/c who the heck was I to them? I don't know...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, i saw it as a brave act, and regardless of what the bible may or may not explicitly say, it's not for anybody to judge. you know? if it's true that all sins are the same, then homosexuality carries the same weight, if you will, as lying and therefore shouldn't cause you more anguish. that's how i see it. but i think it's great that you didn't join those who decided to turn their backs on __...i truly commend you for that, cuz i know it must be difficult.

    ReplyDelete