October 13, 2021

My Reflections playlist - Part 4 (1999-2000)

 My senior year of high school was busy and full. I did crazy things like keep score at basketball games and work on the yearbook. In some ways, it was a hard year, as all but one of my friends were in National Honor Society, but I hadn't gotten in, and that was A Big Deal. But I was on the praise team and starred in the senior play, so that was obviously something. For the most part, it was a fantastic year, so these songs are all pretty upbeat.

34. "Cotton Eye Joe" by Rednex - I haven't the foggiest what this song is about, but every time it came on during a party, it made me start to move my feet. I don't dance; let's be clear on that. And I avoided parties when I could. But this song is all it took to get me at least tapping my foot. It will always make me laugh and remember some party we went to at Sofia's house that year.

35. "Macarena" by Los del Rio - Again, a song that reminds me of the parties I avoided. I mean, geez, they were loud enough that I could hear the music just fine from sitting outside with my cold bottle of Coke and a cup of popcorn or a no-bake, as were the treats at our school parties. But this one I actually learned the dance for - thanks again to Sofia. I'll always associate this song with her.

36. "Baby Shark" by Pinkfong - Yes, OK, so this has become a global phenomenon in the past few years, but I learned this song from William Gordon during my senior year of high school. He first sang it to my little brother Luke, who was a toddler at the time. We'd make the motions and laugh hysterically. And William didn't sing the kid-friendly version...

37. "Speechless" by Steven Curtis Chapman - For whatever reason, this song will always make me think of my friend John, who was a year behind me in school. I can't remember now why, but it had something to do with being in class together - U.S. History or Government - and listening to it together. My memory fails at the details, but it was a happy moment.

38. "Lost in the Wilderness" by Stephen Schwartz and sung by Darius DeHaas - The most significant event of my senior year was our spring musical, Children of Eden. I'd be surprised if you've heard of it, but I highly recommend it. It blew my mind. I got to be part of the Chorus, and it was very possibly the best experience of my teenage years. I laughed. I cried. The cast felt like a family. Spotify doesn't have lots of songs from the show, but this is one of my favorites anyway. For a little Christian international school in Africa, we put together a pretty amazing show. All the feels.

39. "Life is Beautiful" by Michelle Tumes - This was around the time I first heard Michelle Tumes, and this song in particular made its way into my heart. As I wrapped up my childhood and prepared to move back to the U.S., probably permanently, this song seemed to embody my life. 

In June 2000, I graduated from high school and returned to the U.S. for college.

No comments:

Post a Comment