August 26, 2008

The rains: what I won't miss

I thought maybe if I made a list now of the things I don't like about the rainy season, then when the harmattan comes and I'm desolate, I can look back and think about these things and be thankful! So here is a list of the things I won't miss about the rainy season:

  • mud...enough said;
  • not being able to wear slippers (flip-flops) because they kick mud up the back of my legs;
  • carrying Timothy and the diaper bag and an umbrella;
  • Timothy's dropping his pacifier or Jack-the-dog in the mud;
  • flying termites;
  • not being able to hear the music playing above the drumbeat of driving rain on the roof;
  • mold...also enough said;
  • slipping on the moss on our front steps;
  • having to keep the living room windows shut most of the time so the rain doesn't blow in;
  • wearing three different sets of clothes in one day as the temperature changes;
  • smelling the fragrant chickens at Chickenville even more vividly after the rain;
  • unplugging the computer (to keep it safe from lightning strikes) and forgetting to plug it back in;
  • wet socks;
  • stink ants;
  • getting wet in unexpected storms;
  • leaky roofs (though, we thank God, not our own);
  • mildewed clothes when the dryer can't run because the power is out;
  • David's allergies;
  • mud...oh wait, did I mention that already? UGH.

Well, to be honest, the things I will miss hugely outweigh the things I won't. But life goes on, and at least now I'll have some things to be thankful for when dust covers every surface of the house and is in our hair and mouths and eyes and noses... *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. Hi Saralynn!
    Let's get together somewhere in Jos. Maybe our families can become good friends. We live in Rayfield, close to old airport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good reminder that there's ups and downs for every season, ba? it's an interesting method to write about what you currently DON'T like so that when it changes you can look back at it. I never thought of doing that.

    ReplyDelete