May 17, 2008

Introducing a Toys"R"Us boycott

A month ago, on April 14, I had a bad experience while I was trying to order a birthday present online from Toys"R"Us for a friend. It was a very simple order, and I used an existing online-bank account because I'm aware that Westerners are paranoid about bank fraud and credit card fraud, especially from Nigeria. This online-bank system is supposed to be convenient and secure. It's never failed me before.

So I was surprised to find out when I woke up the next morning that the order had been canceled. I received an email with no explanation, just a notice of cancellation. I replied asking for some answers, but all I received was a generic response saying that I should place a phone call to customer services or fill out the online form on the website. I went online to the website and for the life of me could not find an email address to use or the form, only a phone number. I looked again at the email I'd received. It told me where on the site I could find the online help form. But the page didn't exist. I sent another email, which I knew was futile, and received the exact same response. There were no links in this email, aside from a link to the Toys"R"Us homepage. I was disgusted.

I decided to write a paper letter and spend 41 cents--which ended up being more because I included all my email correspondence, which made it overweight--to let them know how upset I was. I emphasized more than once that I was frustrated because I could not make international calls, yet that was the only way they gave to reach customer services (besides directions to a non-existent online form). Finally, this past week, I received three (3!) replies by email from a customer services representative--all three from the same woman. She said she had looked up my order and discovered it had been canceled because my IP address is in Africa. She also suggested I call to talk to her in person. Call--after I stated at least three times in my letter that I was unable to call. So obviously she hadn't even read the letter.

I'm just disgusted with the whole business. From my experience, Toys"R"Us has no customer service. None of my interactions with the company have been positive, and I have no patience left. So I'm officially boycotting the store--online and otherwise--and I invite you to do the same if you've been moved by my tale!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous01:47

    I pretty much stopped patronizing the chain when they prominently displayed a sale on an item that had been all over the news for a week as recalled because it could cause death in children if ingested.

    ReplyDelete