January 09, 2008

A time of quiet and relief

Today I took Luke to the home in which he'll be staying for the next month. And now I'm sitting in an empty (chilly--maybe down to 68 or 70F...brr!) house, with nothing to hear except roosters crowing, goats crying, Timothy breathing, birds chirping, and the hum of the computer. Wow.

I did enjoy taking care of my little brother for the most part. He can be a real charmer. David calls him a dansiyasa, or politician, because he can sweet talk when he wants to. And he helped set the table, bounce Timothy, make lemonade. He even helped my helper Mary clean the bathroom one day! He made life interesting, that's for sure.

But there were also the times he put half a roll of toilet paper into the toilet, filled the tub more than half-full (which is a lot for here!), took a metal pipe outside to defend himself against two girls who were teasing him, threw a rock at a neighbour boy... You get the idea. And it will be nice not having to tie shoes for awhile, or turn down dinner invitations from friends, or wait an hour to use the bathroom while Luke takes a bath. Little joys.

I hope Luke has a good visit with this other family. They're doing us a huge favour, and we truly appreciate it. After five weeks of mothering an 8-year-old with ADD and mild cerebral palsy, I'm FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment