November 12, 2007

The past week

Well, a week ago, I was labouring at home in bed, and today I have a little boy sleeping beside me as I type. How do these things happen? Is God cool or what?!

Obviously, this has been one of the most exciting, awesome, tumultous, exhausting, and intense weeks of my whole life. Getting married was definitely a milestone, but this goes way above and beyond a wedding and honeymoon. The mixture of sheer joy and utter exhaustion seems impossible, but it's oh so real! It overwhelms me how much my life has completely changed just in a few short days--a few short hours, really.

I'm a mom. Weird. And yet so cool.

It's been a rough but wonderful week. As you can imagine, I'm so tired I could probably sleep for several days straight if given the chance. But I've always been good at coping with sleep deprivation. (My freshman year of college I figured out I got an average of 4 hours of sleep a night for a whole semester.) I wake up in the middle of the night and look over into the drawer that serves as Timothy's bed, and I'm blown away. He's so perfect, so tiny and adorable with ten little toes and ten little fingers, and his daddy's nose. And when he opens his eyes and looks at me, I just melt. Other times I wake up and panic for not having heard him peep in several minutes. But he's always okay. When I kiss him, he stirs, and I know he's all right.

Anyway, I'm still going to try to keep my baby thoughts mostly in my baby blog, but it's impossible for me to separate motherhood from the rest of my life, so there'll have to be some sort of mix. Enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. I remember having these same thoughts even for my third. I was so thankful that I still had wonder, adoration, and immense love, as though I'd never had a baby before. It's something else, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete