November 27, 2007

The latest on Luke

My parents are leaving in a week, and there is still no home for Luke. In their infinite graciousness, Mom and Dad decided they simply could not leave Luke with us for the full six months. I admit this was a relief of monstrous proportions.

So...Here's the current plan:

Mom and Dad will leave on December 4 as scheduled. David and I will watch Luke for the rest of December and into January. Then there are two possibilities
  1. A missionary family--we'll call them the Smiths--will return from furlough and take Luke into their home. They've been approached about the possibility but haven't given a final "yes" or "no" yet. OR
  2. Mom and Dad will return to Nigeria and continue working on the adoption, maybe planning on going on real furlough in the summer or next year.

Effectively, my parents still aren't sure whether they're leaving in a week for six months or for six weeks. In any case, they'll fly into Charlotte, NC, where our mission is headquartered. Then they'll spend three weeks with my sister Lisa in Virginia, and three weeks with my brother Jonathan in Wisconsin. In the meantime, David and I will stay in their house and take care of Luke.

This is a fantastic compromise, and I have no problem with it at all! Since I'm still on maternity leave, I don't have to worry about being distracted while trying to work. Luke's tutor Mr. Abe will still continue to come and teach Luke throughout most of the Christmas holidays. We've even had a few offers for respite care. Plus living in my parents' house will be a blessing--having running water, a deep freezer, a big TV, and a washing machine, all under one roof!

Oh, I know it will still be challenging parenting my brother, even for six weeks. But it's do-able. We'll make it. And hopefully we'll all learn a lot in the experience. I'm sure I'll have a lot to write about in the coming weeks!

3 comments:

  1. Saralynn, it sounds like the best compromise that can be made for now. I'm very proud of you and David for changing your life around so your parents can have a rest. I know how much they need to get back to the States even though it is terribly difficult to leave Luke. I hope the Smiths will be able to return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying that your parents will be able to adopt Luke. It just seems so terrible to me that Nigerian courts won't recognize the fact that this little guy sees your parents as his parents. It's in Luke's best intrest, and in the country's best interest since no one else has been willing to raise him.

    But praise the Lord for a temporary stop-gap measure at least. I will continue praying that the Lord's will be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve and I are in process right now of seeing if we could come to Jos to parent Luke (and teach at JETS). Our only problem (unless SIM didn't take us) would be getting everything done in the next month! We'll see...

    ReplyDelete