November 20, 2007

Luke needs a home

Okay, so my family is facing a dilemme of immense proportions.

Mom and Dad are leaving for furlough in two weeks, and they still don't have a place for Luke to stay. Luke's 8-1/2 and can't leave the country for lots of immigration reasons. It's complicated. But my parents will be gone for six months, and so far, no one has been willing to take care of Luke. There's only one family who's volunteered, but they've been delayed in returning to Nigeria and don't know when they'll be able to come back.

So what do we do?

David and I could take Luke, and that might end up happening. But there are so many issues with that, it's hard to even begin. Luke is really high-maintenance. He has a bunch of special needs--both psychological and physical--and needs extra time and attention. He hasn't been able to pass the entrance exam into Hillcrest, so he schools at home with a private tutor, who may quit the job in February to do his required government service. At the moment, I'm a full-time nursing mom, exhausted 24/7, and when my maternity leave is up, I'm returning to two intense jobs (working from home, though). David will be taking a big, important medical exam in April and has to study pretty intensively between now and then. And he'll be gone most of the month of April to take the exam down South. I'm a high-stress person in the best of times, just like my mom. I worry about everything. I'm not sure how a spoiled ADD 8-year-old with cerebral palsy would fit into my home life!

But he's my brother. And someone has to take care of him. It's not fair for my parents to have to delay their home assignment and rest in the States because no one will take care of Luke. There has to be a solution. And if we're it, then that's the way it's going to be. I'm terrified, but maybe this is a stretching experience for David and me (mostly me). Maybe God is leading us into a huge learning opportunity. Who knows?

All the same, I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll find Luke a home somewhere else in the next two weeks!! Please pray with us!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous23:14

    Saralynn, I would so volunteer (if we were there). Can't you just see it...Luke and Rowan yelling at each other and chasing each other around, bopping one another over the head with toys. Ian would get quite the show. I can just imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been praying everyday for a home for Luke. Will keep praying...

    ReplyDelete