October 05, 2007

Holiday week

Monday was Nigeria's Independence Day, celebrating 47 years of freedom from British rule. And actually, it was a quiet day. Usually, there are parades and activities going on at the Jos Polo Club, a huge grassy field adjoining our compound. But I didn't hear anything this year. Or maybe I've just become accustomed to the noise and tuned it out.

Mom hosted a brunch for the missionary doctor families on the compound and had 27 out of the invited 28 people come! We feasted on cinnamon rolls, caramel rolls, muffins, fruit, and baked apple French toast. Mm! (Of course, I was feeling really sick for the first hour so missed most of the food.) Afterward all we adults played Apples to Apples and then a few rounds of Dictionary (the generic and original game that became Balderdash). It was a great way to spend a holiday morning!

And the rest of this week has been really slow. I didn't have any work for ACTS (for various reasons, none of which were in my control), which was a nice break. And the Internet was off all week. So I spent time working on the blanket I started for my nephew Ethan when I first found out he was coming. (He's now 9 months old!) I'm almost done!

The rains have stopped completely, and we're still waiting for Alex to come and install our ceiling fans. *sigh* Life goes on. I miss the rains and the cool weather--and collecting water in our big containers. Now we'll have to struggle to keep up our water supply. At least it isn't really dry yet.

Still no news about the green card... We're learning to be patient.

Oh, and Mom's baby got adopted last week; did I mention that? Abigail was adopted Friday, a week ago, by a professor and his wife, who've been married something like 13 years and have never been able to have children. We think they'll take good care of her. Mom's having a hard time coping, as she always feels these losses more than the rest of us.

I think that's about it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment