October 24, 2007

Burning heartache

The past few months I've been experiencing heartburn, but this is altogether different.

My heart goes out to all of my family and friends who are in Southern California. Next to Wheaton, Southern California is the closest thing in the U.S. I have to "home," and so many of my loved ones live there. I've been glad to hear that my host family in Encinitas for the 2005-2006 year are safe, and their house has not been affected by the fires. But so many others have had to flee their homes, and I'm still not sure what the outcome is, or will be. One of the churches that supports my parents has burned down, and the church where my brother-in-law grew up has also burned down.

Honestly, a selfish part of me is glad to be here during this crisis, far away from all the destruction and pain. I heard so much about the 2003 San Diego fires while I lived in San Diego, and all the talk scared me. I thank God I live in a place without any such natural disasters. (Instead we have malaria, meningitis, cholera, typhoid, and HIV.) But I do love southern California in many ways, and inside me, I am weeping for my kauye, my village. Please remember my family and friends in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment