July 04, 2007

The week without Lydia

Lydia's been gone a week today.

It's been a hard adjustment. I've said goodbye to so many babies over the years--the most painful of which was to Aaron in August 1991--but as I get older, I remember better, I think.

All right, so I clearly remember saying farewell to Aaron 16 years ago. I was nine then, and he had just turned two. It was a Sunday afternoon, if I remember correctly. And when we left the apartment building in which his mother lived, he was wailing. We were all falling apart in one way or another. And on our way home, we got into a car accident. Lisa broke her nose... It was just a bad day. I often wonder how Aaron is these days, if he's even still alive, if he's in jail...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Lydia will do all right with her new family, but we sure miss her. So many times I've tried to put into words why and how we miss her, and what in particular we miss. But words fail me, and I just have to sigh. I've been a foster sister since 1987. Twenty years. Wow. And soon I'll be a mom and will not (Lord willing) have to say goodbye to another baby anytime soon! This baby will be mine (on loan from God) for keeps.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous21:44

    Hi SaraLynn!

    And your baby is due... when? Any sense of gender or do you want to know yet?

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous21:47

    PS. I forgot. Should we tell Lisa (while she's giving up sweets) that chocolate lowers blood pressure? Or would knowing that simply raise it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous23:21

    Oh, I can't wait for you to be able to hold your precious baby in your arms and know that it is yours. It's such a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete