July 22, 2007

Falegan's wedding

The Internet is back up! Yay! What a relief. I wouldn’t call myself a web addict, but I certainly do enjoy my browsing and email time!

Yesterday, our friend Dr. Falegan got married here in town, at a church called Living Faith. This happens to be the same church David and I went to a year ago tomorrow, the day he proposed to me after church! Living Faith is a huge church that follows the “health, wealth, and prosperity” gospel: If you follow God’s ways and live right, you won’t have any problems and will prosper, so if you are experiencing suffering, you’re obviously living in sin. David took me there last year just to give me a taste of this prosperity preaching that is amazingly popular here in Nigeria. One of the biggest church buildings in the world is a Living Faith sanctuary in Lagos, or so I’ve heard.

David had told me the one good thing about Living Faith weddings is that they’re prompt. And he was right! We arrived at 10:25 for the 10am ceremony. The parking lot was virtually empty, but when we went inside, we discovered the ceremony well advanced. We arrived just in time to hear the end of the vows and witness the exchange of rings. The first thing I noticed after sitting down—besides the tall, flashy fluorescent green headtie/hat of the woman two rows ahead—was that there were three couples at the front. David had warned me this might be the case, but I was still amused. Falegan and his bride were the couple in the middle, and we could just barely see them from where we sat.

All in all, it was the most enjoyable Nigerian wedding I’ve been to—and you know I’ve been to plenty in the past seven months. The music was fun (I love watching David “dance”!), the sermon was good (from the Ephesians admonition to husbands and wives), and we were able to leave by 11:45! The wedding wasn’t technically over at that point, but they were just signing the marriage register, which is a very Nigerian part of every wedding ceremony. We skipped the reception; we weren’t even sure where it was. But it was sure an interesting hour-and-a-half! I just wish my camera had better flash!

Other notes:

  • We’ve been cat-sitting for three weeks now, and I’ve finally decided to call the little one Tigger. He’s not orange, but he’s striped, and we at least presume it’s a “he.” His owner, Sara, came to town for two hours last Monday and told me she and her husband were traveling to Zambia today and wouldn’t be back until after August 3rd. So Tigger’s stuck with us for another two weeks! It’s a good thing he and Zoe are getting along so well now.
  • The new Harry Potter book is out!! I’m hoping to get my copy in about two weeks, and I’m anxious to read it. I also wish I could see the new movie. I hear it’s fabulous!!
  • I made orange Kool-Aid last night, and it really hit the spot. Okay, so Kool-Aid may not seem like a big deal, but at $1 per package, it’s something we don’t have often. This is the first time I’ve made it, I think. David liked it, too, so now I have to start budgeting to get Kool-Aid at the Lebanese store in town at least once in awhile! I was really excited this week when a missionary friend brought me some Cheez-Itz back from the States!! Yes! It’s amazing the things you miss when you’re here. Oh, and flavoured instant oatmeal. Mmmm. I thank God for generous friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment