November 19, 2008

Nighttime surprise

I woke up in the night and turned over to get more comfortable. Then I sat up in bed and poked David.

 

"David, what's that on my pillow?"

 

He turned over, glanced at my pillow, and said, "It's nothing. Turn on the light."

 

I reached over and turned on the bedside lamp while David leaned forward for a closer look. "It's not a fuzzy caterpillar?" I asked him.

 

"It is," he said, grabbing the pillow and heading outside.

 

I had trouble sleeping the rest of the night, worried about fuzzy caterpillars crawling on me. Every time I woke up, I'd check my pillow for another intruder. But we were safe the rest of the night. I just felt so violated by a crawly critter in my bed!

 

For those of you unfamiliar with fuzzy caterpillars, they are 1 to 2 inches long and look, well, fuzzy. Their "fur" sticks out and makes them look nice and soft, but if you touch it, you get a terribly itchy rash. I've never actually been unfortunate enough to experience it myself--at least, not that I know of--but we steered clear of them climbing trees as kids. Yuck.

 

fuzzy caterpillars 3This morning I wanted to get some pictures, and I found THREE (count 'em) in the doorway between our kitchen and dining room. I took photos of two more outside on the steps. Someone rescue me!! I'm not safe anymo re!

 

 

fuzzy outside

This fuzzy is on the wall of our porch.

fuzzy with flash

This one's actually on our front steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment