August 28, 2007

007

I watched my first James Bond movie over the weekend. Okay, so maybe this isn't an event worthy of a post, but too bad. If you don't like it, don't read it.

David and I watched GoldenEye, and it was my first experience ever with a James Bond film. Why? Because I'd heard enough about James Bond to have already formed a pretty accurate opinion of him: He's a 20th century Captain James T. Kirk. But one of the characters in the movie put it best, using the words "sexist" and "misogynist." That about sums it up for me. The fact that the man goes around kissing every woman he meets--including the enemies--just turns me completely off. Okay, so he only sleeps with one or two. *gag* The guy's a schmoozing, arrogant player if you ask me. Some might call him, "suave" and "debonair," but not I. No sir. (My husband's a Mr. Knightly, thank you very much.)

But the other thing that just made me roll my eyes is the total unrealism. Okay, so I'm a science fiction and fantasy fan. I love Star Trek, Star Wars, and most movies and books that take place in the future or another world. But to watch a train blow up and see Bond standing up with a pristine white shirt and straight tie, not a speck of dust on his suit jacket... That's just going a little too far.

Besides, seeing things blown up in the first place isn't my idea of a great way to spend time. No, I don't hate action movies. I've seen lots that I like, including any with Harrison Ford. But the plot has to be clever enough to make up for the overuse of explosions, machine guns, and running for cover. I like intelligent movies. (Okay, okay, and some stupid funny ones, too, but not the really stupid ones. I will never watch Austin Powers, and I usually avoid Jim Carrey movies.)

So that's my impression of James Bond. If I've missed something, please tell me. I'd be happy to watch another one--one more, mind you--if you can recommend a really great one. Maybe one with Sean Connery?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous15:14

    Sorry, Saralynn, you won't get a James Bond recommendation from me. I pretty much agree with your assessment (tho' I can't remember which of the movies I endured).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sean Connery ones are much better, in my opinion. I haven't watched them since I was a kid, though, so I can't say with conviction whether or not they're good.

    ReplyDelete