March 20, 2007

Seeing Sharon!

What a weekend!

I've known Sharon for seven years now, which seems crazy. We met at Orientation just before school started my freshman year at Wheaton. We got to chatting on our way into Chicago for Big Sibs (when sophomores take freshmen out on the town for an evening). Well... we didn't hang out a whole lot in college, so when I got an email from my friend Ruth in January saying, "Sharon's going to Nigeria!" I got the details!

Sharon came for a weekend visit in January, and she spent this past weekend with us, too. She works with an organisation that sends her here to do research and training about family planning. She'll come again in July, when she'll finally get to see green and luscious Nigeria instead of dry and dusty Nigeria!

One of the first things Sharon asked for when she got here was amala, the black pounded yam I've learned to love. (I'll have to get a photo next time we go to the amala joint.) Yummy! We also went swimming, played some games, and talked a lot about public health. Phew. Good but exhausting! Have a safe trip back to the States, Sharon!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous18:38

    Sounds like you have been super busy! That must have been a very very long wedding ceremony! haha. Take care! Email soon..I miss you! Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Nigerian, but I re-appreciate my country when I read of it from your perspective. It'll be interesting to hear Sharon's views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi saralynn, i'm back in NC! still jet lagged but am enjoying the fresh air, minus the fine dust found in kano. hope you are all well. thanks for such a wonderful weekend. love, shaz

    ReplyDelete