March 02, 2007

Return of the harmattan



*sigh* The dust came back today.

Those of us who are way too young to remember the Dust Bowl (was that an American football game?) have to imagine what it must have been like. But those of us who live anywhere near the Sahara - or perhaps any desert - can guess.

It had gotten pretty warm, which is pretty normal for this time of year. By March it's usually hot and humid, and we're all wishing the rains would come. It had gotten warm enough that David and I had moved a mattress to the living room so we could sleep under our only fan.

And then suddenly it all changed.

Yesterday I went to work and was cold at my makeshift desk. I really wanted a jumper. Crazy. And today, my househelp Ladi showed up in a heavy jacket! I even wore a jumper throughout the morning. Unbelievable. Then when I stepped outside, I understood.

These photos don't quite capture the extent, but it is very dusty. This isn't fog or smoke; it's fine reddish brown dust. RAIN! Where are you?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment