September 10, 2008

Seeing Sara

I first met Sara on my honeymoon. She was standing outside the hospital on the compound of which David and I were staying in a guest house. David had heard of her, and she told us she'd been at our wedding. Surprise! (You have to understand that here, everyone and his second-cousin's niece's best friend shows up at your wedding. Invitations are just a formality.) She told us that she was getting married in January to a Nigerian, and that she'd gone to our wedding to have some idea what it could be like.

Well, how was I to know then that our paths would continue to cross until we became friends?

Tonight I got to see Sara and her husband Sunny, who moved to Abuja in February. Considering Abuja is only 3-1/2 hours away, we sure haven't seen much of each other in the months since they moved. Both Sara and Sunny work for IHV and travel a lot. Plus we don't have a car so can't exactly pop down to the capital for a quick visit.

Anyway, we hadn't seen them since the day before we left for the States, May 31, and it was so absolutely wonderful to visit tonight! Since we'd last seen them, we'd been to the States, and so had Sara (alone, alas!), so there was a lot to talk about. Plus we're both working on immigration stuff at a similar pace, so we can talk about that together and vent our frustrations.

Oh, it was just such a good visit. I do so miss seeing friends, and this week for some reason I've really missed my sister especially. Sara isn't my sister, of course, but she's a friend, and it was just refreshing to share a few hours with her. Thank God for revitalization!!

No comments:

Post a Comment