April 16, 2008

Hard decisions

The hardest decision in the past week...

(drumroll, please)

...was to cut my hair!

No, not really. Okay, so I did debate a lot over that decision, but I didn't agonise over it.

Seriously, though, this week I'm faced with the decision about whether to continue working, and if so, how much for how long. It's not an urgent decision, exactly, but I do want to give 30 days' notice, and as we're leaving June 1 for five weeks, I thought I'd better get it all done before then. That way I can really relax on our "vacation."

Then again, I've already committed to being at a writers' workshop the week after we get back in July. So should I keep that job? Or should I note in my resignation letter now that the workshop will be my final farewell?

OY! I hate making decisions. I can't sleep at night. My stomach churns half the time. I'm exhausted. What do I do?

2 comments:

  1. My own personal opinion, is that if at all possible, a mother should stay home with her child-especially her babies. I know that's not always possible, because some families need that extra income. It's somewhat of a trade-off. You just have to figure out if it makes sense in your own situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous22:25

    Sometimes, when David & I have to make a decision, we pray. One time, God's answer was, "I gave you people minds. You figure it out."

    The last time I had to make a tough decision, the first thing I did was realize I was choosing between 3 (probably) good things. OK, so I couldn't make a truly bad decision. That took a lot of pressure off.

    After that, I mentally listed all the pros & cons. (Sometimes, I do this on paper, with elaborate point systems for different variables.) Still, no clear winner.

    So, the next thing I did was check in with my gut. "Gut, how do you feel about saying 'yes' to decision X? How about decision Y? And Z?" In all three cases, the gut said, "Oh, that sounds lovely."

    In desperation, with a deadline for making the decision looming, I reversed it. "Gut, how do you feel about saying 'no' to decision X? Y? Z?" And, finally, a true gut reaction. I went with Z.

    And, it's all turning out quite nicely -- so far.

    I suspect that what makes this decision hard is that you're choosing between two good and worthy things. So, you can't make a bad decision. And, a decision doesn't have to be perfect in order to be good.

    ReplyDelete