June 06, 2007

Expecting Marc

Marc’s arriving tomorrow! I haven’t seen him in over two years!

I got to know Marc when I was in eighth grade and he in sixth. His family was/is in my mission, and he’d come over sometimes to play computer games (mostly Myst) with my older brother Jonathan. Sometimes they got together with some other guys and played Diplomacy at Marc’s house. So when Marc started middle school, I decided to keep an eye on him, make sure he was okay (being such a person of rank myself). And somehow over that first semester of eighth grade (fall ’95), Marc and I became fast friends. I wasn’t in his social circle, I guess you might say, but we were friends anyway. I, being the youngest in my family, asked him to be my little brother. He, being the second of three boys in his family, agreed that I could be his big sister. And that was that.

Oh, sure, things have changed over the years as we’ve grown up. We’re hardly that much apart in age, and so now we’re more like friends than siblings. And we don’t write often, hardly ever call…But Marc’s still my little brother in my heart. This year he’s coming out to teach math at our school in town, and I’m so glad! I’m pretty sure he and David will really click, and we’re both eager to learn Chess from a master. So, have a safe trip, Marc, and we’ll see you in a day or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment