May 11, 2007

Just one more post

Okay, okay, I know this is a little crazy, posting four different things in one day. Those of you who read my blog today or this weekend will have a lot of catching up to do; sorry! But I'm just overwhelmed by thoughts this week, and it helps to get them "on paper," out in the open. (Are we going to make a new phrase, considering hardly anyone writes on paper anymore?)

My computer died last night, just gave up. Il est fini. Oh, not that I was particularly attached to it. I'd only had it for a little less than two years, whereas I'd had my college computer for five years and had even named him Milton. (Not because I have a fondness for John Milton, mind you. Quite the contrary.) So it's not that I'm sentimentally pining for my lost computer.

But I'm a huge dork and hadn't backed up most of what was on my computer. Granted, most of it wasn't important. I'd backed up the major things like the file with all my mailing addresses... but not my email addresses. Urgh. And all of my saved email correspondence is lost. Ah, well, such is life. So now I'm using David's computer, which is nicer and newer anyway (and faster). Should I get a new hard drive in my computer, or just continue to use David's?

David had a really frustrating week at work, and we're faced with making some big decisions. I can't discuss them online just in case someone from the hospital reads this, but needless to say, this was just the last straw in a series of frustrating incidents. We're both sad and disappointed. I don't know where our lives will go from here, but we can trust that God has plans higher than ours, and that He'll guide us in our steps as long as we put our faith in Him.

On a lighter note, our neighbour and my doctor, Aunt Bev, is returning from the States today and should be bringing a box my host family in California packed for me last October, which has been sitting in the States waiting for a traveler since then. I'm not even sure what's in it, but I hope I'll at last get my cutting board!

My parents' househelper found a scorpion in their house on Wednesday! I'd never seen a scorpion before. Dad killed it and put it in a jar to show every visitor they've had. It's scary to think something like that could be crawling around without anyone noticing at first. And it terrifies me that our mattress is still on the floor, so a scorpion could just crawl in with us at night!!

Mom and Dad are still taking care of baby Lydia. No news on when she'll be adopted. I think the process is just going more slowly than anyone anticipated, but the family who originally asked for her is still interested. Yay! It's always hard to part with a foster baby, but it's easier to send them to a loving adoptive family than back to their abusive parents.

That's all for now, folks!

5 comments:

  1. Did you try taking the battery out of your laptop and then putting it back in again? I guess Dad would have already suggested that to you. It worked for us last week when we thought our computer was dead. I hope you enjoy the little things I sent with Aunt Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous00:35

    Hi SaraLynn! Hi Lisa!

    Of course, it depends on what's wrong with it (you didn't say, SaraLynn) but the data on a disk can be OK even if the power supply or motherboard crashes. Getting the data can still be a pain, but there is SW to do it (at least, here....)

    Another handy thing to keep around, esp in Nigeria, is a ThumbDisk. They're resonably cheap and we'll be happy to send you one if you don't have one.

    FYI, P&I are well and think of you often. We're just crazy busy at work. Interesting projects - well at least to us, anyway - but they sure do keep us hopping. We'll tell you about them if you're curious

    One thing P&I have noticed as we get older: we simply don't scare easily at very large projects. OK, so it takes 5 years to finish something. Yea? So ... like... what's the problem?

    15 years or so ago P&I would probably flinch at the idea of a SW project that big. But hey. You both chose projects that took 9 months to get started and will take another 18 years to just hit Phase 1. And it'll never ever quite be finished....

    Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points, Lisa and David. I wouldn't have thought about the battery, probably. Unfortunately, what happened is that the disk started screeching, then groaning. Now the system BIOS doesn't even recognize a hard drive as present so there's probably no reasonable way to recover the data.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous23:48

    Hi Mike!

    A screeching disk, huh? Sounds bad. :( I have heard that some SW can lift data off damaged disks too, but now we're talking big bucks and ninja stuff. But it's there....

    FYI, my friend Frank manages a Web Server Hub so I can always ask him what's the latest stuff that does [whatever]. He generally keeps up on it.

    Lisa, if you read this I'd post comments to your blog too but I'd have to create a Google account. Bummer....

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember God is in control!

    BTW we have too many scorpions, and my oldest was stung by one! He was fine, but I was a wreck.

    ReplyDelete