June 25, 2006

Drawing Close to Goodbye


I just got here two weeks ago, and I'm already saying goodbye. I'm a missionary kid and a pilgrim. I learned to say goodbye almost before I learned hello. You would think it gets easier.

It doesn't.

Four of my doctor friends are moving away this week, and I'm already starting to say goodbye to them. This afternoon I attended a "send-forth" for the doctor friend I've known the longest (pictured with me above). I was only there a half hour, and yet it was still a struggle not to cry. The rest of the week will mean saying goodbye to the others - not just a spoken farewell, but the unspoken: realising this is the last time I'll go on rounds with Dr. So-and-so, the last time I'll be on call with Dr. Such-and-such, the last time I'll hear them laugh. The Last.

No, saying goodbye doesn't get easier. At least, with the assurance of heaven, it's only goodbye for a little while...Thank God for that.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, keep up the good work with your blog. I need to do better about updating mine.

    I don't think goodbyes are good for anyone, especially when one of our main "jobs" is to build relationships with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous19:41

    Yeah, yeah!! Already missing Dr so-n-so, likewise Mr/Ms such-n-such, though I haven't even left.....why do u look forward to leaving so much...then its time to go n u say 'hey where did all the time fly to?'......anyway, such is the life:)

    ReplyDelete