January 16, 2014

4 months



I have been a single mom for four months today.

No, that’s not exactly true. I have been a single mom–for all practical purposes—for a couple years.

But it was four months ago today that I got a phone call from the kids’ dad saying that he had moved out.

Four months.

I can hardly believe it’s been that long. Days just seem to go by, and life has just had to continue, regardless. People have told me I need to take time to grieve.

Like, when?

Seriously, I know it’s important in the healing process, but when do I possibly have time to sit down and process this alone? Ha. Very funny. It’s no wonder people have a hard time doing the grieving process. It takes intense time and alone-ness, which most people can’t afford or just don’t have.  I have a full-time job and two kids to care for. I already have guilt complexes about my eating habits, lack of exercise, and the state of my house. So now I need to guilt myself that I’m not finding time to grieve.

Wait, what? Really?

So anyway, four months.

Yes, four months down. If I live to be 80, that’s only 579 months to go.

Lord, have mercy.

3 comments:

  1. It may come slowly, Saralynn. It may creep up on you unaware while you sleep; while you do dishes or braid Ana's hair. I find that while I am doing tasks I am able to process information better than if I am left alone. Some of those chores are pretty non demanding (mentally) and we can get into a zone of a special sort when we can truly commune with god and ourselves. I urge you to seek this time - not while you are alone - because that may never happen - but while you are doing the tasks of everyday life. I pray God gives you mercy and shows you his way. It's far better than anything we can come up with. <3 Auntie M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what it's like to sometimes feel like you don't have the time to grieve (specifically, to cry - for me, anyway). I thought I was the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. grieving doesn't have to be done a certain way... you can do it in your own time, your own way, your own space. there is no schedule for grieving.

    ReplyDelete