September 11, 2012

I am different

I know many, many amazing ladies who are great moms, wives, friends, and followers of Jesus.

I would like to think that—at least sometimes—I fall into those categories, too.

And yet, I am different.

Maybe it’s just the people I know here, but it seems even my Facebook friends have similar traits. I can’t really say clearly how I am different from my closest friends, since two of them aren’t married, and the third is married but is not a mother yet.

How am I different?

  • I have no plans to homeschool my kids. In fact, I like the idea of handing them off to someone else for a few hours each day.
  • I don’t cloth-diaper. I love the earth, but I also love disposable diapers. Woot.
  • I eat processed food. Sure, we eat lots of fruit, but we also eat mac & cheese, bologna, and Hamburger Helper without any guilt. And I really, really like fast food.
  • I really hate football. Period.
  • I honestly cannot tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke, but I’m a sucker for diet cola in whatever form it takes.
  • I have no interest in competitive running. Thanks, but I am exercising to be fit and healthy, not to be fast. Even that is a huge struggle.
  • I am not on Pinterest and have very little desire to get pulled into that. Facebook is a big enough time-waster, and I’m afraid Pinterest would only underscore all the amazing and wonderful things I’m not doing!
  • I am a huge supporter of allopathic medicine. Huge. While I understand medical doctors cannot treat everything, modern medicine is amazing and has not only increased life expectancy but also—more importantly in my opinion—increased quality of life for so many people. If you don’t believe me, spend a summer in an African clinic.
  • I immunize my kids without any qualms. None whatsoever. I’m only sad that it makes them cry.
  • I have not taught my 4-year-old to read. I figure he will learn when he’s ready to learn… Or his teachers will eventually teach him. Either way, he’ll learn to read.
  • I believe in speed limits. No, really. I do.
  • I have never wanted to live within the European Union. It sounds really neat, but it does not sound like a place I’d ever fit in. Take me instead to Ethiopia or Zambia.
  • I don’t drive a minivan and never plan to. I don’t need all that space because
  • I am very happy to only have two kids. They are plenty for me, and I will be delighted if we never have another baby! (Granted, I will be equally delighted if we do, but as far as it is my choice, two is good!)
  • I don’t have a smart phone or a Kindle. I’m sure I will at some point, but not yet.
  • I don’t cook if I can avoid it. I just don’t have ideas for enough things that my picky kids will enjoy. Eat, yes. Enjoy, no. I do make sure they are getting enough of the right foods, just not in cooked meals as such.
  • I am going to be a working mom. Not sure what that will look like yet, but it’s going to happen. It’s just a matter of time and circumstance.
  • I am a liberal who thinks that life begins at conception and thus abortion is generally wrong, and that homosexuality is unbiblical. Or maybe I am a conservative who believes in gun control and federal assistance for the poor, including health care reform. Who can say? But I definitely ride the fence, and that makes me different.

Are these differences good? bad? neutral? Of course it all depends on your point of view. But while I feel lonely and out-of-touch sometimes, I am glad at least that my personality remains intact—as much as that is possible since it is continually developing and changing. When I don’t feel isolated, I am happy being different. Maybe in our next living situation, I will find someone who is different like me.

5 comments:

  1. I truly enjoyed reading your blog.It helped me too get to know you better,I must say It is very good .Thanks for sharing it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lisa said...

    I truly enjoyed reading your blog.It helped me too get to know you better,I must say It is very good .Thanks for sharing it with me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia Parenti20:04

    Saralynn-This was totally refreshing to read. After coming from an area that was a melting pot of cultures and people I have often felt lonely and different after moving here. But most of all Ive felt my opinions and ideas would not be well- received and maybe even harshly criticized. (Especially the big fat "D" on my voters registration card-lol)The area I lived in did not only tolerate differences- but celebrated them. That is one of the things I pray I can pass on to my children. So for now I have given up on finding friends more like me and started believing my unique design is God made- my "differences" were created and are known and loved by Him. And most of all- my heart swells when I hear others differences because they to were molded byHim. ---We miss you and your sweet family-Friend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post said things I always have wanted to say... Mostly that even though my life role is now a mother I have not changed terribly from the person I once was.... I have a hard time making mom friends because I am a huge introvert an believe that these few years that my kids have solely at home are important and that we don't need to be making apps to have our days be action packed... I know what I do is not for everyone, and that's fine with me, what I really want are mom friends in my life who raise their kids on knowledge and gut feelings not what they just heard from the latest expert... You don't know what a lifesaver you have been to me in the past year reading your status updates as you navigate the word as a person with two kids.. Thank you! And hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous16:41

    Except for the diet coke, minivan, and cooking points, I am pretty much the same way as you on everything else. We have more in common than we have differences, I think. Which is why we remain friends, even if it's pretty much just on Facebook. :)

    ReplyDelete