December 08, 2008

The shape of our future

It's true: We're moving to the U.S. in January. The truth is that we'd been thinking and praying about this until this spring, when we had the opportunity to hire a lawyer to make it a reality. Since May, we've been filling out forms, gathering documents, and fervently praying for David to be granted an immigrant visa to the States. On 4th December, he had a successful interview, and a friend will pick up the visa this week. We already had a tentative booking for a flight leaving January 27, and now we hope to confirm it and buy the tickets this week.

 

"Wait...what?"

 

The first thing I want to say is that I am not coercing my husband into this. I have been supportive of his decisions, and I would have been happy to remain here forever. He didn't decide to go on his own; we made the decision together. But we are not moving because I can't hack it here. We're not  leaving because I'm tired of not having running water or because our apartment is falling apart, or even because I'm sick of the dust. No, I'm not a tough old-fashioned missionary who has washed her clothes by hand all her life and hauled water from the nearby stream. But I've lived here most of my life, and I'd like to think I could have stayed here until I died. And hopefully we'll be back in a few years.

 

So no, we're not leaving because of me. At least, I hope not.

 

We're leaving because David plans to undergo more medical training in the American system. Specifically, he is hoping to start a residency in family medicine in the fall of 2010. For this to be possible, we must go to the U.S. for him to take the required licensing tests and go through the application process. If he can get the testing done by August, he can apply for programs next fall and start in 2010. This is our hope.

 

In the meantime, what? Well, we're flying into southern California, my "village," where most of my extended family live. For the first month or so, David will study for his exams. At the same time, he'll be looking for work to begin after the testing is over. (I'm not sure about my work situation yet...) So for the foreseeable future, we'll be in greater San Diego. After David gets into a residency program, who knows? We're open to living anywhere except Florida and New York City, pretty much, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see where God leads!

 

David's already begun studying for his exams, now that he has the visa, so I get to do all the dirty work of finding housing, jobs, and a car (with my Aunt Pamela's help--thank you!!); packing; buying our plane tickets; and selling all our belongings! (We can only take two 50-lb boxes each.) Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me.

 

So that's our news, in a nutshell. Our leaving comes at a good time, as this Christmas, we can concentrate on giving instead of on receiving. And we do have lots to give. ;)

4 comments:

  1. We're so excited that you got the visa after all this planning and effort, and that David will be able to move ahead with his career. Of course, we're going to be really sad to see you leaving, too; we've been so blessed to have the two (then 3) of you in our lives the past two years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous21:54

    So glad to see that Hawaii is still possible location for your future household. Will be praying that you stay healthy during the stress of the move. I'm glad everything worked out. But I'll certainly miss your tales of Nigerian culture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be hard, no doubt about it! But together, with God's help, you will overcome all hinderances.

    BTW, you have said so many times how much you love Nigerian life. It may be tough, but life everywhere is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm,
    I am having mixed feelings with this news of your relocation to the U.S. While I am happy that you and your husband are getting the desire of your hearts, yet I sad to see that another 'fine' one is leaving. Another resolute one broken? Though you said you are not going because of the bad condition of things, yet those are enough reasons for anyone to want to go. Your moving is a proof that things are not good enough. That David is leaving behinde minths and years of training in the same specialty is a proof of the value placed on our medical training and services. I had always turned down suggestions of moving abroad and I still do but my resolve is definitely not as strong as before. Though we have not met in person, yet I will miss you in principle. I believe however that you are going to keep up this blog. God bless Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete