October 05, 2008

Passing the time

I exercised tonight for the first time since I can't even remember when. Okay, sure, I get daily exercise hauling Timothy and his carseat around. And I take walks with David sometimes. But this was 100% intentional and entirely my own idea. This hardly ever happens!! I am awful at exercising. I come from a sedentary family, so I didn't grow up with sports at all. And I have so many excuses not to exercise--reasonable excuses, even--that I can almost always convince myself to pass.

But three things made me think of it tonight. One is that I actually like the size I'm at right now and would like to stay this way. Another is my friend Lisa's blog post about exercising. And the third is a conversation I had yesterday with my husband. (Note: David enjoys exercise, especially playing football, but he doesn't make me feel guilty for not exercising myself--at least, not usually.)

I'd been thinking about trying it tonight, once Timothy was in bed. But then he decided to be naughty and stay awake until 9:45. I was tired. I decided to go to bed instead. While I was sitting on my bed, brushing my teeth, I suddenly realised that a big fat honkin' mosquito was perched on my hand having a grand ol' time. Nope. Not bedtime yet. I got out one of our several cans of insecticide and doused my bedroom with it. I pulled the door shut to make sure all the mosquitos died, and I thought, Well, what the heck? Who needs sleep anyway? So I put on Rebecca St. James' God with the volume down low, did some stretches, and then just started doing whatever seemed to make sense. I'm no aerobics master, nor am I a dancer except in the privacy of my own home. But I moved my arms and legs, and now I am sore. To me, this signifies exercise! I just have to figure out a way to make myself do it regularly. Is anyone interested in an exercise accountability program?

And now my bedroom is clear of the insecticide smell, so I can go to bed! Bon nuit.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous22:28

    Hooray! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post reminded me of my childhood. We used to have to douse our rooms with insecticides hours before going to bed. Thankfully there are odourless ones these days or this past summer would have been unbearable what with the flies that came from nowhere into the house at odd times.

    ReplyDelete